Areas of Practice
Our lawyers understand that family law matters can be difficult and contentious. That’s why we provide compassionate, attentive legal services to our clients at each stage of their legal journey.
Our Suffolk County law firm handles family law concerns such as:
- Divorce: Filing for divorce can be a complicated and emotionally challenging process. Our team can provide you with the support you need to pursue the best possible outcome and get your life back on track. Our lawyers can help with all types of cases, including contested, uncontested, divorce over 50 (gray divorce), high-income divorce, same-sex divorce, and more. As an alternative to dissolution, we can also help you file for legal separation.
- Child custody: Child custody arrangements can be divided into two distinct types: legal and physical. Legal custody refers to the right to make decisions relating to the welfare of the child, such as their schooling; physical custody deals with which parent’s home the child lives in. If a custody dispute arises, our team is here to fight for the best interests of your child and yourself.
- Child support: Under New York law, the non-custodial parent must send support payments to the custodial parent. These payments are usually calculated using the combined gross income of the parents and the number of children involved. The courts require each parent to prepare a Statement of Net Worth. Our support and custody lawyers serving Suffolk County can help you with this sometimes confusing document.
- Child visitation: Allowing a non-custodial parent to visit their children according to a court-approved schedule can be an important step in promoting the healing process for a family where the parents have separated. Sometimes, however, visitation is a contentious issue that requires court intervention. The custody lawyers serving Suffolk can help you with your child visitation issues to bring about the best possible outcome for you and your children.
- Child relocation: Managing physical custody of children is often one of the most contentious issues for separating or divorcing parents. Matters can get even more acrimonious when the custodial parent wishes to relocate to another region without the approval of the other parent. Our child custody lawyers in Suffolk County can aid you in sorting out this thorny issue.
- Enforcement and modification: Refusal to comply with a court order relating to child support or custody can subject a parent to substantial legal penalties, including fines and imprisonment. If the other parent has flouted a court order of this nature, contact us immediately so we can help. We also handle modifications of child support provisions and custody order for parents whose financial circumstances have changed dramatically since the divorce decree and/or where there have been substantial changes in circumstances affecting the best interests of the children.
- Domestic violence: At MONTEFUSCO | PAMMER, we understand that domestic violence is a serious matter. Victims of domestic violence in New York have the option of pursuing justice in family court as well as criminal court. Please contact us if you believe you are in need of a family court order of protection from a current or former member of your household.
- Orders of protection: In New York State, both the family court and the Supreme Court have the authority to issue an order of protection to restrain a violent or potentially violent spouse or related person as defined by the statute. Terms of these orders may include requiring the abusive parent to move out of the home or to stay away from the children. Contact our family law attorney in Suffolk County right away if you believe you may need an order of protection.
- Abuse & neglect: If you are a parent who believes your child has been subjected to such wrongful behavior, you can turn to our family law attorney for immediate legal help. Alternatively, if you have been wrongfully accused of such behavior, we can work to help you retain or pursue your parental rights. Our NY family law firm is dedicated to providing you with competent and supportive representation in such a critical matter.
- Adoption: For many couples, adopting a child is their pathway to forming a family. There are a variety of legal issues associated with adoption, however, and you need help to ensure that the process plays out as smoothly as possible. Feel free to contact our Suffolk family law attorney for experienced counsel regarding this area of law.